2/16/2012

Curtiss Speed Scout

A set of three early biplanes by the Curtiss School in 1916

This post is focused on the obscure little Curtiss Speed Scout, or Baby Scout, model S-1.  There is very little information floating around the Net on this model, so I don't have a lot of narrative, but I do have a few photographic gems.  This first photo is fairly well-distributed on the Net.  It could be that Ivan shared the photo, or that some other collection kept a print of Frank Conway's photo.  I've theorized before that Mr. Conway not only got paid by Glenn Curtiss for his photographic work, but also made prints on the side for students and others at the school, and I don't think I'm far off.

Speaking of Frank Conway prints, you'll see this next photo at the link I placed above as well.  I think this print is several orders of magnitude better, if I may say so, however.  Victor Carlstrom is at the controls.

Victor Carlstrom at the controls of a Curtiss Baby Scout biplane

I don't think I've ever seen another photo of this little bird in flight, so I was particularly happy to find this photo in the collection!

Victor Carlstrom takes off in the Curtiss Baby Scout biplane

Finally, there is an original photo of some damage to the plane.  I wish I had some information about the nature of the incident, but anything I add would be conjecture beyond noticing that the flying wires are slack,  the prop is broken, and the engine seems to have been shoved to the left.

The propeller and engine have been damaged on this Curtiss Baby Scout biplane

I have a lot more photos from the Curtiss School, and I'll be organizing them around aircraft type, people and events, so stay tuned!  As usual, I'll continue to ask for +1's and Shares in an effort to widen the reach of the collection, with my thanks in advance!

-kpw



1 comment:

  1. Hello Kurt Wheaton,

    After most of a lifelong study of WWI Aircraft and the photographs of the same, I just want to Thank You for sharing this valuable resource of Early American Aircraft History here.

    These are fantastic images from your Grandfather's experiences.
    Keep up the Good Work.

    Cheers, Jay Swartz

    ReplyDelete